Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What is God really like?

After reading Genesis over the past few days, viewing God as a main character in the story has made my pre existing thoughts about him slightly change. I always had thought God was a religious figure who was worshipped and admired for always doing the right thing and being a positive role model. After reading Genesis, I realize this is not so true. His actions show hostile, unreasonable, and harsh behavior.  In the story, God wipes out everything on the Earth, aside from Noah, his family, and some animals. This, in my opinion, was not the right thing to do. No matter how bad behaved, annoying, or disrespectful people may be, the right thing is not just to kill them all. In addition, I always thought God was forgiving.  He doesn't seem very forgiving in Genesis. Although he makes a covenent with Adam and says he will never kill mankind again, this is out of regret and realization, not forgiveness. When God acts generously toward Noah at the end of this story by telling him that all the animals were his food and the plants were his too, this is the God that I previously thought of.  Overall, I enjoyed this assignment because it helped me come to the realization that God, among many other characters, may not be who we originally perceive him as.  This assignment has made me come to the conclusion that no one, not even God, is perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment